Sunday, July 25, 2010

So which are you doing?

Sally reminded me this morning that what I posted perhaps wasn't entirely clear. To some of you, it may have come across that we had been doing it all wrong, and suddenly I got some 'new revelation.' It's not the case. Rather what was exciting me from the meeting in Augusta was to realize that our organization now had a 'fresh view' of how you can do the both of Preach and Heal. I had the opportunity to gather with a large number of our health care professionals and supervisors that were being trained and were excited about the both of Preach and Heal. Unfortunately in the past, in some areas where our group works, the supervisors had not viewed this approach as a valid way of church planting, and so had either stopped or at least strongly discouraged our health care personnel from using their medical skills as part of their ministry. (yeah, I know that sounds pretty severe, but it was true.) Sally and I were blessed to have worked in a region where our supervisors were supporting us all along the path.

So, it wasn't that I got a new revelation in Augusta, rather it was affirmation of what Sally and I had been doing (the "A,B,C,D,E" concept) in Uganda over the past years. We began by entering the community (part of the university and hospital), caring for the needy (in the hospital and then HIV/AIDS clinic), and then because of our compassionate loving care were able to get into homes with families of our patients, sharing the gospel. We saw God work in amazing ways as we went into people's homes with our Ugandan colleagues at our side, empowering them to do the same. Disciples were made, and churches were planted - all by the grace of God and for His glory!

What excites me is that Dr. Fielding put it down in a book, something he and his family have been living and teaching. And now, others will have the opportunity to apply those A,B,C principles with intention on the front end of ministry (or be affirmed that they are already doing it). The bottom line is to be more effective in doing what Jesus calls us to do - Go, Preach the Good News, and Heal.

That excites me.

No comments: